Caitlin

Caitlin

Thursday, 3 March 2011

Afo time!

This week we had an important appointment.  One I'd been waiting for for the past few months.  It was finally time to get moulds done of Caitlin's feet and legs so her first pair of Afo's could be made.  I also call them splints so if I'm saying splints or Afo's, i mean the same thing lol.
Afo's stand for ankle foot orthoses.  Basically it's a splint/brace that is shaped like a boot that goes on over her feet and up the back of her leg to the point just below the back of her knee.  Caitlin has limited power in her ankles and feet, so these afo's will give her good ankle support and help her to stand up without bending her knees.

Before we went to get the moulds done, Caitlin's orthopedic came in to see how she was doing.  He walked in as David was helping her take steps around the room and he was very impressed with her.   He said she was a bright young lady who was clearly determined :-)  At our last appointment he said she was functioning at L4/L5 but at this appointment he said he didn't think that anymore - he thought she was functioning better than L4, and he would say she's L5.  He said she has the muscle power to walk in a normal pattern and he doesn't think she would need a walker and if she did, it would only be for a short while to get her going :-)
I was delighted!

Next up, we went in to get the moulds taken.  You would think that a strange man putting bandages and plaster over your legs and feet would be a bit scary but Caitlin was more interested in saying hiya to the doctors and nurses and trying to grab the plaster out of the doctor's hands.  And before we knew it, it was done and there was two moulds of her legs and feet that would be used to make her splints.  They said they'll be ready in 3weeks, though knowing the Royal hospital, it'll be a bit longer!

I have to admit, I have been wanting to get her her splints for ages now, because I know she wants to get up and walk and I know this will help her to do that.  So I was surprised that when we were leaving I seen a lovely little girl wearing splints over her jeans and I felt really sad.  I guess it's because when Caitlin gets them, it'll be the first time that people will notice straight away that she is "different" and they'll know her legs don't work as they should.  I don't want people to pity her or to feel awkward around her or to think she's not like any other 1 year old.  I like that I can go to the supermarket or for walk and people will just comment on how gorgeous she is and how she is so friendly.  I guess I'm afraid of them seeing her splints and not looking past them and seeing her.  I'll need to learn how to handle that, how to cope with all the comments, and to learn suitable replies to the comments!

Here's a few pics we took at the weekend of our beautiful girl,






She's looking at me as if to say, I don't like being up here, put me down!!



Much happier when she's safety on the ground.


 Saying something into her Daddy's ear...It looks like a secret conversation....


My little stinker with Broccoli all over her face, and doing that famous squeezing her eyes shut when I say smile for the camera!  

3 comments:

  1. She is adorable!
    I completely know how you feel, the AFO's are important, but they are also something that clearly says 'I need help'. Once you see how she can use them, you'll stop noticing them.
    Until that happens - hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness is she cute!!! Yes, AFOs are a real reminder that our kiddos need the extra help, but I'm so glad we have that option!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simply adorable and wonderful to hear how well she's doing!!
    Oh, yes, the neon sign pointing out that there's something different. Don't worry, her smile will win them over! How can you overlook that beautiful face?

    ReplyDelete