Caitlin

Caitlin

Monday, 4 October 2010

Living with Spina Bifida

I have lost count of the number of times Caitlin has needed to have blood taken, or the amount of times shes needed to be sedated or the amount of CT scans she has had.  She's had an MRI, Urodynamics, ultrasounds, and we have had to learn to catheterize her four times every day.  I do physiotherapy every day with her, and give her her medicine 3 times every day.  We have regular appointments for different things and sometimes it can seem overwhelming.

I didn't know what to expect when I found out my baby had spina bifida and I have learnt so much.
Sure, Caitlin has some extra issues that we need to deal with it but spina bifida is a small part of her - it doesn't define who she is.  It hasn't held her back when she learned to hold her head up, when she learned to roll, and when she learned to sit up.  She is a beautiful, smart, funny and happy little girl who loves to play peekaboo or get pushed on her swing or wave at herself in the mirror.  She loves to play, to try to copy what your doing or saying and she loves days out and splashing in the water.  She loves to have a giggle with Daddy and a cuddle with Mummy.
As another sb mummy once said, when you have a child with a disability, the lows are really low, but the highs...well they are the highest :-)
My little girl makes me so proud and happy each and every day and the best thing that has ever happened to me is that I got to be her mummy.


                                                          

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading your blog! Great job putting it together! Isn't it amazing how the words just pour out??? Your princess is a beauty! And I know that like me you feel she is the best gift you could ever receive! She is destined to accomplish great things :) Much love to you both from Lyla and I!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog!! So glad that you started one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! It's so amazing what we think we can't handle to what we can and will do when our babies are born.

    ReplyDelete