When we find out our babies have spina bifida, it's like our world is crumbling around us. There's nothing positive about your precious child having this disability, well there wasn't for me anyway. I felt so alone when Caitlin was diagnosed, and yet now it's so different. I have made some wonderful friends, people I would never have come to know if Caitlin didn't have spina bifida. There are too many people to mention but I am so grateful to have you all in my life. One person who I am going to talk about, is one of my friends from Ireland, Rosie. I met Rosie through Spina Bifida Connection, an online support forum for adults with sb, and parents of children who have sb. We typed e-mails to each other, swapped stories and soon met up at a parent's night run by ASBAH (Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus). When we met there was no awkwardness, conversation came easily, and it was so nice to have somebody who knew how I felt. Rosie has two children, Katie and Jamie. Jamie is 2 1/2 years old and has spina bifida and hydrocephalus. I have him and Caitlin married off already lol. Over the past year, me and Rosie have kept in contact reguarly, meeting up for playdates and at ASBAH events, and of course, running into each other at appointments at the Royal hospital. She's been there for me when Caitlin has went through her shunt operations. We talk at length about shunts, walking, Afo's, and we have alot of conversations about peeing and pooping, (you sb mamas will know what I mean lol) She has come to be a very good friend to me, and I have spina bifida to thank for that. Without our children having it, we wouldn't have met.
After our last playdate, I suggested she come to Donegal, were my parent's have their mobile home and last weekend her, her partner Neil, Katie and Jamie did just that.
We had a fantastic time at the farm,
Jamie got along brilliantly with Caitlin (I can see the romance already lol)
Katie doted on Caitlin.
Caitlin loved having her friends to play with,
Us Mummies with our babies,
Chillin out at the carvan,
All too soon, it was time for them to go home, but we all had a fantastic time. Our two kiddos might have spina bifida and hydrocephalus, but that sure didn't stop all of us having a fun filled weekend.
Adorable!!! It's great to have people to connect to!
ReplyDelete