Something that is often overlooked after a child has so much surgery is how it affects them psychologically and emotionally. Caitlin recovers amazingly well from her surgery but it has affected her in other ways. She has grown to be afraid of hospitals, doctors, and if anybody she doesn't know comes close to her, she will cry. She becomes afraid very easily, and is suspicious of everything. Thinking about it, it's no wonder. Everything she has been through is bound to take it's toll on her. The other day I popped into the chemist with her, and as soon as the pharmacist came over to speak with me, Caitlin burst into tears and cried "Noooo, Bye bye, All done." She thinks anybody she doesn't know is going to hurt her. She's too young to understand any explanation I give her. She's been having a lot of nightmares since she got out of hospital, crying out in her sleep. I don't really know how to help her in this way, except to try to create new memories with her, to replace the bad ones.
So this weekend we went to Donegal, for a couple of days of fun! We took Caitlin to the beach and she loved it. She loves the water and the sand. Definately a outdoor kinda gal :) I was really pleased to see her confidence grow. She was willing to play without me being right beside her. She was even venturing out on her own,
Having fun at the park,
Trying out the new slide, (and loving it!)
All that playing is thirsty work,
She's also now insisting that she eats her dinner by herself, it gets messy.
Just before we left, I took Caitlin out on the decking with her toy walker, and she walked up and down holding onto her walker, very steadily, very well and I was so delighted with her! To think a few weeks ago she was too afraid to walk at all with her walker. She works so hard and I am in awe of her. Her physiotherapist says we can try out a proper walker at her next appointment, I'm so excited! Video's to follow :)
That is so sad about the hospitals... I think this is something a lot of us moms fear for our little ones. I am so thankful to hear that she is home and that you enjoyed yourselves on your trip. Also, how her confidence and strength are pushing her to use her walker more. I love the pictures, especially the one with the sippy cup-how adorable!
ReplyDeleteShe is so adorable. I never really thought about all the other ways hospital trips and doctor trips effect our children, but you are so very right!! Glad you are home and recovering!
ReplyDelete