Caitlin

Caitlin

Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Caitlin's got a baby sister!

Caitlin became a big sister on the 2nd of November at 9.31am when her baby sister arrived 5 days past her due date!  Aoife Lily was born weighing a big 9pound 5.5lbs.  I was hoping for a natural birth but it was not to be.  When I was 2 days overdue I had a hospital appointment to see if she was showing any signs of coming into the world but it seemed she was quite comfortable and had no intentions of coming out to meet us.  The doctor felt that because she was already a big baby, and with my previous c-section and the fact that there was no signs of labour beginning, that I should be scheduled for another c-section.  Although I wanted a natural birth, the doctor felt the safest and best way forward was a planned c-section and if labour started before that then I could go ahead with a natural birth.  So I was booked in for the 2nd of November when I would be 5 days over due.  I tried pineapple, curries, walking, even climbing around the soft play centre with Caitlin the day before my c-section to kick start labour but it was all in vain - baby Aoife had another ideas!

I arrived at the hospital, a bundle of nerves.  In no time at all I was bought to theatre & it bought back many memories of how it was with Caitlin.  Hearing little Aoife's cry was just like hearing Caitlin's first cry.  She had a mop of dark hair & a little button nose just like Caitlin.  But instead of the doctors saying, "I'm afraid she does have spina bifida,"  he said, "Congratulations, you have a healthy baby girl."  I'm sure he didn't know just how much those few words meant to me.  I got to hold Caitlin very briefly before she was placed in a incubator and taken up to Intensive Care.  With Aoife I got to hold her for ages, take in her features, feel her warm skin on mine and kiss her little forehead & nose again and again.  It was wonderful.  Instead of being bought round to recovery alone, I had my baby with me, and even though she screamed the place down, I enjoyed every moment.





Recovery from this c-section was much easier than it was with Caitlin but I was like a first time mum because I had Aoife with me and I never got to experience those first few days with Caitlin.  So when she was coughing up mucus and pooping black stuff, I was panicking, unaware that this is perfectly normal in newborns!  I spent two days in hospital and I missed Caitlin terribly, but I needed that time to bond with Aoife.  Caitlin visited each day, although the first thing she said when she seen Aoife was "No Mummy!!"  But when she seen the present we had got her from Aoife she cheered up.  I had daydreamed about that moment when I watched my girls meet and have their first cuddle & it certainly lived up to my expectations.


A few more pics of Aoife's first days...






Since we got home it has been nothing short of chaotic.   Caitlin is finding it difficult adapting to the fact her sister is here to stay.  "I'm going to kick her", "Put that baby on the floor" are among what she's said since Aoife arrived home.  "Put that baby down right now and hold me Mummy" is a firm favourite.  Tantrums are rampant here too.  Everything is a battle with Caitlin now.  Kicking off over every. little. thing.  My sweet pleasant child has turned into a little brat most of the time.  Timeout is now her second home.  I know its to be expected though and I can't complain too much because there is glimpses of my sweet pleasant child returning now and again.
She has asked a couple of times to help get Aoife's wind up,



And even has give the odd cuddle to her baby sister.







How people cope with more than two children is beyond me, it is just crazy over at our house!  Between feeds, nappy changes, Caitlin's catheter & bowel schedules & daily physiotherapy exercises, more nappy changes, trying to get Aoife's wind up, trying to keep Caitlin happy, trying to keep the house clean & keep up with appointments I am exhausted.  But very happily exhausted.  I've got all I've ever wanted.  I just love that Caitlin has a sister, I don't have one and especially now I wish I had one.  As sisters they may fight constantly but they'll always be able to rely on each other, help each other, hopefully confide in each other and will always look out for each other :)

I could write much more but Aoife is stirring so I'll finish with a few of the things Caitlin has come off with this month,

I took her to Disney on Ice (which she loved) & two boys are play fighting with a couple of those glow light wand things, so Caitlin taps them on the shoulders, and says ever so politely

"Excuse me boys, stop that please.  It's very dangerous."  She's wise beyond her years that one!

She's tried to get Aoife into trouble.  The other day she shouts for me, I come in and she says,

"Mummy, Aoife was so bold, she just said s*hit to me!"  I don't even know were she picked up that word but it was one of those moments were I had to stop myself from laughing because she said it so seriously!

On Tuesday Caitlin was singing away to her nursery rhyme CD.  Her Granny comes into the room and tries to join in.  Caitlin does not like this and shouts at her,

"Granny, stop that now.  Away up and do the hoovering!"

Her new nickname is Little Miss Bossy Boots.  You can probably see why!!


No comments:

Post a Comment