Caitlin

Caitlin

Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Ms Peppa Pig, urology and orthopedic updates!

I never seem to have the time to blog anymore!  Time is going in so fast.  With working now, and having appointments every single week over the past few months, we never stop!  I have the week off work and Caitlin is having her nap so thought I would take the opportunity to post some new pics and talk about some of the weird and wonderful things that have been happening with Caitlin and that worrying syrinx.

Be warned, I'm about to talk about poop lol.  Caitlin is 22months old now, (nearly a 2 year old!!) and for the past few weeks she's been announcing that she's done a poo poo.  The weird thing is, most of the time she has or she will over the next few minutes after she says it.  But wait, she's not supposed to have any sensation of when she is going to do a poo, or when she's done one.  She's not meant to have any control over her bowels or bladder.  So how does she know alot of the time that she's about to go, or she's went?  Even for a 22month old with full function of their bowel and bladder, it's a young age to say that they're doing a poo.  I thought she might have been copying other kids in nursery as she sometimes does say it and doesn't do anything.  So I spoke with the girls who look after her in nursery and they say they had noticed that she knows when she goes or is about too because she tells them, and no other child in her room does that!  She also winces when we are blowing up the balloon in her bladder for her indwelling catheter at night.  She's not supposed to feel that either.  I discussed all this with her urologist at our appointment yesterday and she was baffled.  She said were her spina bifida is, she should not have any sensation.  She said it's very interesting and she can't explain it but maybe she does have some sensation.  I know she definitely does have some loss of function in her bowels and bladder as she suffers terribly from constipation and she can't push her poop out herself and she needs catheterised.  But maybe, just maybe she has some sort of sensation there.  The urologist even said we could get a potty and see if she will go for a poop!  What!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I might just get her a potty, not to potty train, but to see if she does feel it coming out, even if she can't push it out herself.  Wouldn't that be amazing!!

Now the possibly not so good news.  Caitlin has always walked with her walker in a normal walking pattern with excellent foot placement.  Over the last few weeks, she's been dragging her feet a lot, bending her knees much more when she is walking, not placing her feet on the ground as well as she was, and turning her feet in much more.  This freaks me out because of her syrinx's on her spine.  Is this what's causing her to regress the way she is?  I hope not.  It could be her Afo's.  She has been cast for new ones, her current ones are too small for her and could be why this is happening.  So we have to see if it improves when she gets her new Afo's and if it doesn't.....well I don't even want to think about that!

We also celebrated Halloween this year.  It was an easy choice to dress her up as Peppa Pig, her all time favourite cartoon character!  I thought she would have loved it, but she didn't want to put it on!  She was not impressed at all lol



 I told her we could go outside (she loves going outside) and she soon cheered up,





She really was the sweetest little piggy I've ever seen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment