Caitlin

Caitlin

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Another few surprises in store..and Easter holidays!

I love how my girl always surprises me when I'm fretting over how she is falling further and further behind in terms of mobility, compared to other children her age.  Then she must read my mind and think to herself, I'll show you Mummy!  And she does something wonderful that makes me just know she'll get there.  Caitlin attends physiotherapy once every 3 weeks and this week she did something amazing.  She was practicing her standing as usual at the bench and we were being mean and putting her toys just out of her reach, and she stepped sideways to get it!  This is such a huge deal for children with spina bifida.  Her physiotherapist was delighted with her.  She explained, as Caitlin has reduced power in her ankles and legs, she has to work those muscles so hard to get anywhere.  Combined with the strong possibility that she can't feel her feet touching the ground, being able to step side ways is fantastic!  And it wasn't just one side step.  She side stepped the whole way along the bench then was able turn at a 90 degree angle and side step to get to her toy!  I didn't have my video recorder with me but managed to get a pic.


Moments like that, make the hours of trying and practicing, the tears of frustration and the sheer hard work all worth it.

I was on cloud nine that day.  And I was super excited about our trip to Donegal, were we were going up to my folks mobile home to spend the holidays.  The week dragged in (always does when theres a holiday to be had at the end of it) and finally we were all packed up, ready to go, and were just waiting on Caitlin waking up from her nap.  When she did, I went up to pick her up, expecting her to be the way she always is.  Lying down in her cot.  But she wasn't!  There she was, sitting up in her cot as if she'd be doing it for months!  She didn't know what all the fuss was about when I started cheering and shouting for her Daddy.  She did it again.  Surprised me and made me a very happy Mummy.  

Easter was always going to be a good day for Caitlin.  Any day is a good day when there is chocolate involved.  Caitlin could eat it all day long, (much to my despair over her rotting her teeth lol).  We laid her Easter eggs on the floor and as soon as she seen them she made a bee line for them.  


Got Ya!


She had to have her own pretty Easter Basket, to match the pretty girl :)


She managed to open the box herself, and thought she'd sneak a little bit of chocolate into her mouth (even though it was just breakfast time).



She thinks if she gives me that cheeky grin I'll let her keep stuffing the chocolate into her.  


She was right!  


Well, Easter does come only once a year :) 

1 comment: